The goal of Food Services is to serve fresh, wholesome and seasonal foods. By supporting our local growers, carbon dioxide emissions expelled during shipment are greatly reduced. The Abby Aldrich Dining Hall and Weiss Café use reusable china place settings and only offer disposable products as a secondary option.
- All reusable products in Weiss, such as trays, china plates, bowls or coffee mugs are positioned in such a way that the reusable products are an easy reach for the guests, but they have to go out of their way to get the disposable products.
- There is a 10% discount off each cup of coffee when a china, or Rockefeller mug is used in Weiss.
- Napkin dispensers distribute one napkin at a time in order to reduce the quantity that people would otherwise take.
- Eco-friendly cleaning products without toxic volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are used.
Weiss Café and Abby Dining Hall offer:
- Fair trade coffee
- Only rGBH-free milk
- Only cage-free eggs
- Seafood that is farmed or fished in a sustainable manner, whenever possible
- Organic food options for snacks and hot lunches (noted on menu when applicable).
Did you know...?
The global market size of plastic consumables by research laboratories is estimated at $5 billion per year. Polystyrene, polypropylene and polycarbonate plastics — all petroleum based and few recyclable — form lab materials from petri dishes to test tube stands.